Friday, December 28, 2007

comforting food (lamb shanks)


It's been a good and productive day of weeding out the closets and storage containers around the house. The Brown Elephant will get a good donation as will the building's recycle bins. The work continues tonight, but a few minutes stolen from it to blog dinner isn't out of line.

I seem to make lamb shanks a heck of a lot lately. They're not all that expensive a cut, and they have the further virtue of being something you can pop in the oven for a very long time and mostly ignore. Handy for a day when other things are on the go around the house.

In any case, given the wet, snowy weather today, some comforting food was suitable. I put each shank atop a bed of simply and lightly boiled Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and spooned over some of the reduced braising liquid.
Also on the table were a dish of olives, peppers, and walnuts as well as a plate with a couple of wedges of walnut cake and some slices of aged Mimolette cheese. As for the wine, I'm sitting here enjoying a second glass of a 2004 Montes Alpha Syrah (Chile) that someone brought to last weekend's party.

In short, I'm not too concerned about the somewhat miserable weather, and if I keep this up, I won't be too bothered with the cleaning/sorting for the rest of the night!

2 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

Lamb shanks is a favorite around here as well, but it's much more fun to call them by their Italian name; Stinco

Peter said...

Stinco? Cool! I'll try to remember to use that one next time I serve them up!

:-P