
Well, sort of. A wee bit more to go, but we really knocked off the last major presents tonight! I met up with Conrad at his office at around 4:30, and we soon set off from there. The result? Gosh, but we're worn down, and those darn Macy's bags really cut into your hands after a while!
All of this was delightfully mitigated by dinner out at The Lobby in the Peninsula Hotel. A lovely space, and we've enjoyed it a number of times before. The menu has changed, but we made do just fine.
Conrad started with scallops
and a glass of a California Chardonnay.I opted for the salad of arugula, Marcona almonds, roasted squash, and shavings of Manchego cheese.
With this I had a glass of Naia Rueda.We each had the pork loin for dinner,

and even better, shared a dish of Brussels sprouts roasted with smoked bacon.
Mmmmm. Conrad opted for an Oregon Pinot Noir while I had a white Burgundy.We could have been bad and eaten dessert, but we sort of behaved. Sort of. We each had a glass of a nice, lush California Zinfandel (Conrad finished mine for me). And when the bill came, it came with a dish of little cookies.
Nice!The Lobby is such a lovely space,


and it feels luxurious just sitting there, admiring the lights outside.
After that it was a moderately funny comedown to find our taxi trapped by fire engines right outside the hotel!
No matter, we made it home, and once this blog is up, to bed I go!
8 comments:
I wish I could have eaten there. Food looks really good. With good company and good wine, what can go wrong. We're packing our bags and off to Quebec for two weeks. Merry Christmas.
When I was a kid, I used to "liberate" things from nice restaurants as souvenirs, a spoon from Antoine's in New Orleans, salt and pepper shakers, sort of like what kleptomaniac society matrons do all the time. Anyway. Keep me out of The Lobby because the Staub baking dish the sprouts are in would disappear.
Send the recipe along, Jeph. I rather love me some Brussels sprouts, and a new recipe would be great!
Have a great Christmas Helene. I'll check out your blog for food photos from your holidays!
Steven, I have no doubt that - especially given the bacon - the sprouts would disappear as well!
:-)
The decor of the restaurant is beautiful, and the meal itself look fantastic. Congratulations on finishing your shopping. I have 2 more gifts to buy, and a few gift bags to purchase and I will be all finished with wrapping and buying!
I am rather fond of bacon, not to mention Staub.
Bacon makes any cookware taste good. or something like that!
Post a Comment