Friday, February 22, 2008

magnificent late winter day

It's just gone 7:00 here in Vancouver, and I'm parked once again over at Safari Cafe. Adam just brought over my first artfully-foamed coffee of the morning. Outside Main Street is alive, and a yellowy-orange streak is on the low east horizon. Conrad is in bed (was there any doubt over that?), so I have some time to myself to blog.

The forecast for today is a little grey, a little wet. The memory of yesterday will keep me going through any dreary weather, though. Good gosh! I wrote last weekend about a gloriously sunny (if cold) day in Chicago, but yesterday topped it because

  • I'm on vacation
  • It was several degrees above freezing
  • Things are in bud and bloom here

Yes, in bloom.
Flowering cherries or plums or something - I can't tell which, so if Jeph will chime in with his gardening expertise, I'd be grateful. We saw this tree (and a few nearby with some blossoms) outside the Aquatic Centre when we went for a morning swim. We were already enjoying the morning, and this was a further highpoint.

We were pretty good about enjoying the day outside overall. It's about a two-mile walk along the Sea Wall on the north shore of False Creek from our place to the pool. We dawdled the whole time, taking photos and admiring the condos. And my gosh, is it ever a thrill to see some dozen cranes all in the vicinity of the Olympic Village construction site.

After our swim, we crossed by ferry to Granville Island and settled on a simple lunch at Bridges.
From there it was on to browse some First Nations arts before picking up foodstuffs for making dinner. All of this, in fact, took a couple of hours - we really were in no hurry. Once home, I set to work cookingand Conrad relaxed with a bookbefore going for a walk about Chinatown.Dinner - pork tenderloin - was a bit early,and we could see the mountains to the north as we ate.
The sun went down,and we went off to Theatre Sports on Granville Island.

A big dinner tonight. Greer is in town, and we have plans to dine at C. I have high hopes. In the meantime, I'll get back to my hardcore vacationing....

1 comment:

Peter said...

Jeph! Shame! I rely on you for all things plant/vegetable/botanical/flora in nature.

Oh, my friend, you have momentarily let me down. Photos of Brett will make things better.