Sunday, February 17, 2008

Still more baking

It's just been one of those weekends where all my pent-up need to mix up things with sugar, butter, and eggs gets released. Today's result: two more batches of cookies.

I kind of like these ones: golden raisin and walnut cookies.I'm especially fond of dried fruits, and walnuts have been something of an obsession of mine for several months now. The cookies were fairly simple to make,and I didn't need to go buy anything special beyond what I had in my cupboards and fridge. I've eaten a few and snacked on too much dough,and I'm consequently feeling a little pudgy now. To the pool early in the AM with me!

I started some biscotti before lunch. Again, a dried fruit and nut theme: cranberry and pecan biscotti. What drew me to the recipe as well was the use of semolina in the dough. I thought that might give the cookies a certain something. I got a log put into the oven and took it out right before I set lunch on the table.

Lunch. Simple stuff. I'd call it healthy but for that lovely little chunk of goat cheese on each plate.


Back to the biscotti, and after the log had cooled some while, I carefully sliced it, put the slices back on the cookie sheet, and popped it into the oven. The result looks fine enough,
but I'm not sure I'll revisit this recipe. The flavour is a little plain aside from the cranberry, and the cranberries have a habit of trying to escape from the baked cookies. If I do attempt it again, I'll play with it some. Two logs from the dough instead of one, and smaller resultant cookies, perhaps. They'll do for now, though.

3 comments:

Allison said...

I have always loved your homemade biscotti!

Peter said...

I didn't care too much for this recipe at first, but when I had one the next day, I rather liked it. Simpler, subtler. But good.

Thanks for the compliment!

Peter said...

Don't be afraid of semolina, Jeph, it's just a type of flour! And as for asparagus, unless it gets too pricey, we gladly buy and eat it. Fat, thin, bring it on! Oh, and only two because it was only a light lunch.