Sunday, March 23, 2008

quick, simple Easter dinner

Easter dinner, perhaps predictably, was at Yoshi's. You know, I did a decent amount of cooking/food prep this weekend: kick ass ribs on Friday night, a good dinner for Frank last night, casual brunch at Ray Ray's earlier today. Why not go for ease, comfort, familiarity, and enjoyment tonight. I was in the mood for fish, and something not too rich. I figured Yoshi could provide quite well.

No bonnets or finery for us, though Conrad looked handsome as always.We were the only ones at the bar, though it was an especially early dinner for us. I dream of lights out at 9:30ish tonight, so getting there not long after 6 tonight was ideal.

We kept it simple, each of us having fish. Conrad greatly liked his blackened tuna, and the bit I tasted had an appealingly smoky flavour.

I had the bento-style dinner of sea bass. The sides in the little boxes are half the fun, and I rather like the little mushroom and lotus root salad above all. The fish was fine, and the garnish of shiso was a subtle, sweet, basil-y, anise-y touch.

Good food aside, it's just nice to see everyone, like Yoshi, Nobuko, Dennis, Fernanadoand the others. They were worked to the bone with a crazy Easter brunch rush. We're not sorry we missed that.

Capping the night, a little serving of fresh raspberries. Not pictured was the little ramekin of chocolate sauce. Conrad is, frankly, a sucker for the two of them, and I don't at all mind helping him with them either.

Soon time for bed, I think....

1 comment:

Peter said...

A recent cut, yes. Not that it was THAT long before, mind you...