Wednesday, March 11, 2009

entertaining

As mentioned a couple of days ago, we had Brenda and Allison in town this weekend. Allison has visited several times before, and there were some Chicago folks she was hoping to see again. Dominic and Francis couldn't make it, but we were really delighted to have Kim, CG, and Rachel over. Added to this was a new face for Allison (and Brenda, who had heard of the others and even exchanged e-mail and FB messages, but had never met them), Tim. 8 of us for dinner. I hadn't done a proper dinner party in ages. Was I up for it?

Heck yeah!

I should say that Conrad gets huge credit for pulling through this. We had this all planned before his work travel schedule for March reared its ugly head, and he was left with only 36 hours in town on the weekend. I know he would have liked a quiet weekend, and I would have liked one with him. Still, we didn't want to let our friends down, so we soldiered on. Thank you, my handsome guy!

Also, no photos of the guests. I was in the kitchen, and Conrad was tending to drinks and enjoying the conversation. He did take photos of food for me for the blog, but I didn't want him stuck taking shots all night long. Sorry gang, your days of glory on the blog will have to wait.

Dinners are a great excuse to use the big table, get out the nice linens and silver, and play with colours of Fiestaware. I went with a blues through purples to reds theme and by happy coincidence, CG brought us tulips to match.




The guests arrived, and we dined in a fairly leisurely manner. Up first were some cheese, ham, nuts, and a sparkling Spanish rose. People got acquainted or reacquainted. I got busy in the kitchen.

To the table, then, and it was a simple asparagus soup with lemon creme fraiche. To drink? A Saint Clair Sauvignon Blanc. I am sorry we won't go to Marlborough on the upcoming trip to NZ (oh, and Allison, if you read this, the book is getting much better) because we did love the wines and the area. Ah well. Less than three weeks to go. But that's a different blog entry.

For a main course, brined Cornish game hens with some parsnip leek puree and Brussels sprouts. Simple stuff paired with Georges Duboeuf Chiroubles Beaujolais. I'm drinking the last of the last bottle even as I write this.

Dessert was geared toward a gift Allison and her husband Sean had given us a couple of years back: Niagara ice wine. It's such a luxury, and I wanted it to be the star. Accordingly, I made a simple walnut gateau breton and set out four cheeses. Clockwise from top left:

  • Cana de Cabra (Spain, goat milk)
  • Cypress Grove Midnight Moon (USA, goat milk)
  • Valdeon Blue (Spain, goat and cow milk)
  • Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog (USA, goat milk)




Some pieces of chocolate, some grapes, there's your dessert.

I feel badly that we had to chase people out at about 11 but Conrad did have an early flight. I'm just grateful that we have such terrific friends, and that they've become friendly with each other through us. Having Brenda and Allison in town was a great reason for a dinner party, but I'd be glad to have any and all of them over again. Hmmm....

1 comment: