Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring - the restaurant

While I have time at SFO, awaiting the plane to Sydney, I may as well catch up on a bit of blogging.

Last year Conrad successfully bid on gift certificates for dinner at a very good restaurant called Spring when we were at the Farmers Foundation Dinner at Topolobampo. It took us a while to get there, but this past Wednesday night we met up with RAD and enjoyed a few hours there. I'd dined at Green Zebra and Custom House, the chef's second and third restaurants, but now it was time for a meal at his Wicker Park (or is it Bucktown?) flagship.

I walked over from the Red Line North Avenue stop, a nice mile and a half on a cloudy and comfortably brisk day. Crossed the river and took a few photos of the city and bridge, thought he cloudy day didn't do the scenery any favours. In the end, I made it to the restaurant just minutes before the other two.

Now here's where I confess my absent-mindedness: vacation mode kicking in early. I recharged the camera battery but forgot to replace the memory card in it. Without the card, the camera holds only about a dozen photos. Which meant that a delightful 5 course (plus extras and a cheese course) dinner with a cocktail each, wine pairings, and then a half bottle of wine to finish is largely undocumented in image.

I wish more people were in the restaurant - more energy would have made the meal even more enjoyable. As it was, I saw many things on the menu I wanted to try, and I liked everything we ate, start to finish. Hazelnut couscous, a lemongrass soup with shrimp wontons, the beef short rib with ramen and fried quail egg (shown here), and more: all of it was outstanding.

We'll go back, and may Spring be busier. RAD is always a treat to dine with, of course, and I have a feeling Cg would enjoy the place, too.

No comments: