Monday, March 02, 2009

I love lamb


Yes, it's true. Oh sure, my Dad (and now other people) josh me about my love for pork. Hey, pig is good! But I love lamb very much. My step-father won't eat it, so when I was young, my Mum would only cook it when he was away at logging camp for the week. But then we'd have it with a vengeance - I swear we had a three lamb dinners one week!

I rely on shanks a lot. As cuts go, they're hard to mess up. Put 'em in liquid and braise in the oven for a couple of hours or so. Turn occasionally. Easy, and tasty. The braising liquid reduces down into a good sauce. Add veggies, and instant YUM!



This was last night. A busy weekend, including hours in the kitchen. We had a bottle of an unfamiliar French red that also went into the braising liquid. And darned if it wasn't a fine meal in the end!

No comments: