Alright, alright. I admit it. I get a little annoyed that NOLA (the city as an anthropomorphized entity and the people in various media who are from it or promote it) seems to think that it's the best of all, that its food is so much better than everywhere else in the US. Oh, come on. As if New York or Chicago or Los Angeles or even Seattle or DC or Philadelphia and more don't have amazing food and a rich food culture. My eyes, they roll.
But yes, there is fine food here. Plenty of it. So no, I am NOT disparaging the food here in the slightest. I just want it to get off its metaphoric high horse.
Friday night was a good dinner out with my friends Andrew and Ed and their wives. No photos of them all, sorry. But photos of food! And worthwhile. Ed had booked us at La Petite Grocery
(and man, does that make me think about French as a language), and he was so right. I loved what I saw of the menu beforehand, and the reality came through. Good cocktails. I didn't get a shot of the blue crab (sorry east coast and Gulf coast people, but your crab is fine and Dungeness is so much better - I will not be convinced otherwise) beignets that we shared, but yum! I had rabbit for dinner,
and oh, it's been so long since I had that. Satisfying. I loved the dessert as well, a rice pudding cake of sorts with orange in a few guises.
First night in New Orleans, and yep, dining very well.



No comments:
Post a Comment