Sunday, January 22, 2023

two meals in the desert

We're just back from another weekend in the desert.  Yes, another one.  The desert hashtags will be growing in number as I go on.

Anyway, we're back from the desert.  Where I got to come down with a cold.  As did Van.  And Van's brother-in-law, Bob.  Three out of five (well, six, if we count Olive).  It made for a rather subdued weekend, I admit.  Ah well.  There will be more weekends.

The drawback to having a cold is that food doesn't taste as good, nor do I care quite so much about it.  Friday, though, none of us were doing too badly.  I had a busy morning of meetings, and before I had to return to report writing in the afternoon, we all popped down to Palm Desert to go to what has become my favourite fast food chain.

All you who think that you HAVE to go to In 'n' Out when you come to California, go for it.  Leave me at home.  The burgers are fine there (but really, a secret menu?  Sheesh!), but I think the fries are unworthy of the line ups.  In any case, I think I just read that that chain is relocating HQ to Nashville, so go see them in Tennessee instead.  No, when you come to California, enjoy visiting The Habit.

The Habit started in Santa Barbara.  Go read its history elsewhere.  Me, I'm here to recommend two things:  the seared tuna sandwich and the tempura green beans. 


Oh man, the green beans!  But also, the sandwich.  Whenever Conrad and/or Van suggest The Habit, I'm on board.  At lunch, we introduced Cathy (Van's sister) and Bob to the restaurant, and it was met with thumbs up all around.

As for dinner that night, we swung by Bristol Farm, and picked up the fixings for cooking at home.  I usually cook, as you might imagine, but Cathy and Bob were interested by the mention of lobster tails.  I played Van's support in the kitchen, helping him with what he needed for the lobster and the baked potatoes, and I cooked some asparagus. 


Not a refined meal in terms of plating, but a tasty, buttery one.

Capped by dessert:  fregolata. 


An old standby, lemon and almond shortbread.  I served slivers alongside a cheese, and we enjoy it all thoroughly.

And then the cold worsened on Saturday, and I slept much of the day before a nice but unremarkable dinner out in Palm Springs.

No comments: