I am not the only Peter out there, you know. Shocking, yes, but believe me. There are others.
My favourite other Peter and I had dinner last night. We've seen plenty of each other at conference these past days, but it was terrific to get together and just have the two of us enjoy food and gossip about everyone else. I exaggerate a little, only a little. Certainly, we enjoyed food!
Peter and I hopped in a car and headed to a neighbourhood away from where I normally get whilst in New Orleans. Our destination: Toups' Meatery.
Isaac Toups was a contestant several years back on Top Chef. He was kind of fun, and he did win Restaurant Wars, though I admit that I rolled my eyes at the conversation he had with his wife on one episode where they talked about him making sure he didn't come home all Californian or something, as if New Orleans is all and only good and California has nothing of merit to offer. No matter. I'd been curious to try his food, so Peter and I set off to enjoy a meal there.
Cocktails first. I had the Sloe Poke,
and after Peter tried it, he had that as his second dish. We had some fried turkey necks,
pickles,
and cornbread
to start with. And you know, those turkey necks were pretty freakin' awesome. And plenty of food. We should have stopped with those three items, but no, we underestimated portions and - curious for two generously-proportioned gentlemen - overestimated our appetites. Out came my lamb neck
(necks were a theme, I guess), and oh, yep. A lot. No photo of the brownie we shared (it was fine, maybe a little dry), but um, yeah, we had dessert. I also had a cocktail of pork fat washed bourbon, and that was fine, but the Sloe Poke was better.
I woke up this morning remembering that I don't usually eat that much food, let alone that much rich red meat. Gosh. My kingdom for a cauliflower or a big stalk of broccoli.
But in the end, hooray for seeing Peter! I'm looking forward to the next time.








No comments:
Post a Comment