Monday, May 08, 2023

Saturday dinner in Palm Springs

And then we came to it:  our last dinner of our time at the Rancho Mirage house.  While it might have been fitting to cook a last dinner in, it wasn't feasible given how little was left in the house.  And besides, we wanted as little mess and fuss as possible.  So it was that Van - looking very fine indeed!


- and I took ourselves into Palm Springs to go to a reliable place, one we've enjoyed several times:  Copley's.

It was an early dinner, which was good, because it can cool off a fair bit still at this time of year when the sun goes down.  We ordered a pair of the pomegranate martinis,



then settled in to chat, be together, people watch, and enjoy dinner.

I didn't photograph my chilled soup starter - some foods just don't photograph impressively, and a large white mug filled with a lovely green soup is one of them.  Pea and asparagus, a little sweet with some ginger.  It was a nice start, refreshing, not heavy at all.  And then I opted for the pork schnitzel, a new dish on the menu. 


I thought it was nicely cooked, but with the cranberry relish and the dried apricot bread pudding sides, it ate both autumnal and too sweet.  Tasty, for sure, but I think a nice light gravy or something to lend some salt would have made it just right.  I'd still order it again - the meat was nicely cooked!

We negotiated a dessert between us after that and opted for the apple strudel with salted caramel ice cream.  What came out was not even remotely a strudel, and I was startled when it was set down.  An apply tart is what I would call it.  Delicious nonetheless.


After dinner was done, Van and I wandered up the street a short ways to Truss & Twine


for a nightcap (even though it was, oh, 7:30ish at the latest).  We first tried the Fallen Angel there a while back, and we've been playing with making it at home.  Theirs is better.  Van ordered that, and I had The Brooklyn. 

We had a table in the corner by the window and no one next to us, and that made for nice conversation space.  Cocktails done, we headed home, fed the little girl, and had a surprisingly early bedtime.  Our last day full day of living in the Rancho Mirage house was done.

No comments: