It was monthly online happy hour with the gang last night, and the theme was Purim, as suggested by Rachel (who, alas, was under the weather and unable to join us). I looked online for Purim-themed cocktails, and many of them were cocktails we already knew but with their names twisted into tortured puns (Estherito instead of mojito, Hamanhattan instead of Manhattan). That didn't appeal to me, so I dug deeper and found that apricots are a typical foodstuff used at Purim, as in hamantaschen. An apricot cocktail? Sure! So I rooted around and found a promising one called the Charlie Chaplin. Equal parts lime juice, sloe gin, and apricot brandy. And, happily, I already had all of those things on hand. Thus, the Charlie Chaplin became the theme drink for me and Van (Conrad is in San Antonio and couldn't join us either).
Verdict? Maybe try it again one day, but maybe not. Weirdly sweet and sour, and not helped by the fact that the sloe gin, which I've not used in some time, seemed to have oxidized and had that unfortunate caramelized taste and smell. I drank some, as did Van, and then we gave up. I made us each a Don't Give Up the Ship instead, and we carried on with a nice time with our friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment