Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back to baking


We used to have a cartoon posted near the cash register at the restaurant (well, we used to have a lot of cartoons - I'd really love to find the one of the dog on a chain wound round a tree, the dog thinking to itself something like, "Now if I go in the other direction", captioned "Skippy attempts to dabble in logic") that had the Cookie Monster, drunk, belligerent, complaining in a bar, "Sometimes C is for cookie isn't enough for me!" All of which is my lead up to a posting about me baking again, cookies this time.

Joe's recent post in his blog on chicken sausage (and you should check out his blog - I am stunned by what good stuff he produces, and I'm dying to know if he actually goes to an office job all day and then comes home to whip up such things. If so: DAMN!) hearkened back to my mind a cookbook I like: Roger Hayot's Dinner at the Authentic Cafe. He has some good recipes I've made over and over - the breakfast couscous, the pupusas, the pan de maiz with serrano lime chicken sasuage and chipotle gravy (the linkback to Joe), and - best of all - his white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies (already I can hear Greer's throat constricting from a distance). I had a hankering to bake tonight, so I settled on that recipe. All I needed were the white chocolate chips and the nuts!

The last tray is in the oven - some 4.5 dozen large cookies baked or in process. There will be some happy co-workers tomorrow, I think. I also realized something in this entire process: I'm doing this baking because I'm trying to eat a lot better now that we have to accommodate some changes in Conrad's diet. No more treats, or very few. No scone or cookie or muffin with a morning coffee. Fresh fruit for dessert. Moan moan moan. Like it will kill me. However, it dawned on me that I am doing the baking because I can justify the copious pinches of cookie dough I eat as making sure the dough is okay. See, very rational. Remind me of this when you see photos in weeks to come and I've added back on all the weight I've lost and want to keep lost.



And what of SB? He's busy in the living room knocking out some work he brought home.

8 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

So you're eating cookie dough and poor Conrad has to smell cookies baking and can't have any? Baaaaaaad Peter!

Peter said...

They are terrific cookies - a very reliable and yummy recipe. I frequently make them nutless, but either way is fine. I thought, by the way, you'd appreciate the rationalization.

I'm bad Steven? Well, maybe a little.

:-P

On the other hand, he'll keep dropping weight and I'll be left wearing big pants and shirts to hide the rolls!

Stunned Donor said...

If you eat MORE cookie dough, you guys can probably swap wardrobes at some point. :-P

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree - need those "copious pinches of cookie dough" just to make sure it's okay - love it! :)

Peter said...

Oh Steven, that really wasn't called for....

Stunned Donor said...

I'm speaking from experience here, there's about a two week period during after New Year's where the only thing that seems to fit is sweat pants.

Peter said...

I know, I know. I bought a pair of fat pants at the Boxing day sales last year myself.

Stunned Donor said...

Don't say "Fat Pants" say "Eating Pants".