Saturday, October 28, 2006

Back to the beach

Conrad and I are not unlike many other people in that we lead busy lives in general, and this spills over into vacations. The point of visiting new places is, after all, to see and explore and do. Right? Right! Well, maybe….

Having spent a long day on the road the day before, none of us were especially inclined to do so again all in order to see yet more waterfalls, coastlines, or lush vegetation. Sorry Maui. No, we’d had such a marvelous day last Sunday up at Ka’anapali Beach, it was a no-brainer to head back. As I recall, Conrad, FXK, and I strolled over to Starbucks with another hotel guest, Deb, and then enjoyed the tranquility of early morning Lahaina. After some breakfast and some souvenir shopping on my part, though, we packed up and headed north.

There’s not too much to write – if you read the earlier beach entry, then you know what we did: frolicked in the Pacific, drank plenty of mai tais (and beer for Francis), relaxed and read. I made some good progress into The Rebel Angels (I’m typing this on the plane to San Francisco to be uploaded later, taking a break from What’s Bred in the Bone, the second part of the Cornish Trilogy. Good to get reacquainted with Robertson Davies on holiday!). The water was just as great a temperature again, though a little more pounding. We’ll all be getting sand out of our ears and belly buttons for days to come!

That’s about it for that oh-so-not-hectic day. Not so difficult to manage, I would say!

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

I like your beach pose, Peter :)

TGT

Peter said...

Tyra would be proud. I call it "sucking in my gut"!

:-P

the ginger tabby said...

lol