
Goodness, quite a storm blowing through right now. I was just at the window watching some of the lightning - not just flickers and flashes of light but bolts of it visible in the sky as well. The wind is driving rain about our breezy intersection. Not a good night to be out. It makes me glad to have come home from swimming well beforehand.
In to work early today, so home early enough to blanch some broccoli rabe and peas. I peeled shrimp, chopped garlic, and sliced some onions and squash. All this went into the fridge while we were at the pool, ready for combining in a quick dinner after practice.

The green stuff was easy. I gently sauteed garlic in olive oil with a bit of salt, then added the blanched vegetables. To spread the flavour through better, I also added some chicken broth, then turned up the heat to high. The rabe and peas quickly reheated and went into the center of heated plates.
The shrimp were just as simple. I had added some chile flakes and fennel seeds to the garlic and sauteed it with some salt as well. To this I added sliced white onion and some cut up yellow pattypan squash. Next came the shrimp, and I turned up the heat and covered the pan a short bit. Last came the cherry tomatoes I'd quartered, just long enough to soften without falling competely apart. Bob's your uncle, dinner made!

I'm tempted to sit at the window as long as the storm lasts and watch. Back home we seldom got storms like this, so I always find them impressive events.
3 comments:
As always, an other successful dinner (at least from this end)!
You gotta come on down and dine some time!
:-)
You bet! I'm hoping that'll be my 2007 trip (a long weekend). I can't really afford much b/c I'm saving for that elusive condo but a long weekend in Chicago, I'm going to make myself afford :)
Post a Comment