
If you've read the previous two posts, you'll note that much food and even liquor was consumed on this very fine weekend. To be fair, I swam 4600 yards bloody hard yesterday! Just the same, though, we were a little "dined out" by this afternoon, so we decided to stay in and I would cook for us.
Vancouver has been much on my mind lately - I crave a return visit to BC, and I am already very very excited about getting CG to visit with me for her first time there come January. If all goes well, I will visit in December as well. If that fails to come to pass, I can still remind myself of the west coast in various ways.
Food, naturally, is one of them.
A few Christmases back my Mum gave me a decent little cookbook called Chefs in the Market Cookbook. The inspiration is the magnificent Granville Island Market (okay, so some will complain it's overpriced and touristy, but I will continue to visit it and love it), and the recipes come from the authors as well as from a number of Vancouver and BC chefs. The molten chocolate cakes with candied ginger were the first recipe I tried, but the one I keep coming back to is a gem in its simplicity:
Roasted salmon with yellow tomatoes, marjoram, and garlic (contributed by Janice Kariotakis of The Salmon Shop)
4 salmon fillets
2 large yellow or red tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp minced marjoram
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
Heat the oven to 400. Put the fillets on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover each fillet with the tomato slices, then sprinkle on the remaining ingredients. Bake 10 minutes.
Simple, right? I didn't have fresh marjoram on hand (and I'm not always fond of its floral notes), so I used some dried oregano. Plum tomatoes filled in for the yellow ones as well. And really, it was ten minutes. In the cooking time I was able to set the table, cut up some veggies to cook for a side, and heat the plates. Give it a try.
And no, I wasn't deliberately trying for U of I colours with those plates....
5 comments:
Somehow, salmon and tomatoes don't go well together - not that I'm a food expert or anything!
No, really, the salmon goes fine with the tomatoes. It's a strong, oily fish, so it can stand up well to bold flavours.
I'll have to try salmon and tomatoes once - I usually have salmon with a creamy sauce and some dill :) I don't prepare it - I get it at restaurants! I've also had salmon with lemon sauce or zest.
Oh gosh - try it with ginger! Try it with soy sauce glazing it, or in a marinade made from scotch, or with a pomegranate molasses glaze, or rubbed with ground cumin. It goes with far more than dill or lemon!
What can I say? I'm a basic gal ;) Come to think of it, I have tried it with ginger...quite good!
Post a Comment