Saturday, February 16, 2008

Canadian baking

Get it? Huh? Huh? Get it?

Sorry, bad punnery. Simply referring to one of the two things I made this afternoon: butter tarts.One of those quintessentially Canadian things to me - people here get such an odd look on their faces when I mention them. They can't seem to fathom them at all. So much the better for the Motherland - something special we can confine to our Tim Horton's!

Tim Ho's, by the way, does a better job with these than I do. So does my Mum, whose recipe I was relying on. Does she use dark brown sugar? How does she get hers to behave differently and look differently? Mine taste alright, but they aren't right. It's moderately frustrating, and redeemed only by the fact that Conrad can take them in to work, and his colleagues will have nothing to base them against.

I also made a batch of cookies; in fact, I made them first.Oatmeal cookies with dried apricots and pistachios. The dough tasted good, and they smelled wonderful while baking. We'll see how they go over on Monday with the people we give them to.

5 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Those look like yummy butter tarts! I often find them too sweet but yours look just right :)

Peter said...

Oh, trust me, they are sweet. A little salt in the batter is a good counterpoint, though. Conrad's officemates enjoyed them, I'm happy to report.

the ginger tabby said...

I should add...what I don't like in butter tarts are the thick cups/crusts - yours look nice and thin so I'm sure I'd love them :)

Peter said...

Not my best pastry ever, I conceded, but not thick stuff either. I agree, Brenda, that thick crusts detract from the tart. I sometimes find coffee shops have made them in industrial strength thickness!

Peter said...

Sort of pecan pie-esque, yes. Not as clear, though.