Relocated to River North, we pondered our dining options earlier this evening. Thanks to Opentable.com and the opportunity to get 1000 points for a meal, we opted to go one block over to Vermilion. I can't say as I've really heard anything about this place. I don't know anyone who has dined there and told us about it. The menu online looked interesting, though, and the location was terrific for us. We set up a 6:30 dinner.
Let's dispense with the odd, off, or bad. The room seems like it needs a little more something. It's too stark and seems either unplanned or unfinished. Just a little more flourish - flowers on the table, a bit of colour or print in the tablecloths - would do the trick. It was quiet when we arrived save for a loud group of UVa alums in a curtained off area, so we were the objects of overwhelming attention by the waiter. Seriously, we thought it endearing that he would describe so many menu items at such length, but hey, he has to sell us stuff. He deserves a tip. We would have preferred a little less, but we didn't begrudge him it, and overall we thought the waitstaff was quite friendly.
I think we would go back, though. It wasn't the cheapest meal (though not the priciest ever, either), but the menu was loaded with intriguing combos. Some sounded like they shouldn't work (a Latino/Indian fusion), but mostly they did. We'd just like to try some of the other items when we're a little hungrier.
We opted for small plates to share so that we could get a nice variety. I started with a glass of the A to Z Pinot Gris, and Conrad had the first of two glasses of the Mont Gras Carmenere
(I had a glass of it after I had the Pinot Gris). The food, then:Artichoke pakoras with an eggplant chili coconut sauce.
Nicely salty, and the little bits of pickled pepper added some good zing.Blue corn crusted scallops on a kali mirch latin calabasa goat cheese puree.
The pakoras were better, but this was quite decent.Mint-ginger tropical ceviche bejeweled with passionfruit cumin piloncillo.
Bejewelled is THEIR description. I didn't detect the passionfruit at all, to be honest, but there was a good amount of seafood included, the cherry peppers were a great accompaniment, and the slivers of ginger were a good touch.Chili mussels in a coconut cilantro sauce infused with curry leaves and mustard seeds.
We should have had some bread or rice. We slurped up the broth directly. Mussels? Who cares?! The broth was terrific!A side of garlic spinach.
Fine, not overwhelmingly garlicky.Chicken kabab and minced lamb kebab.
Served with a carrot and radish salad. The mango and jalapeno chutney drizzled over had some kick. I thought these were a little plain and boring.Shahi tukra.
This is the item that clinched it for us. I told one waiter it needs to come with a privacy screen so that patrons can lick the bowl clean of the saffron and cardamom sauce. Bread studded with pistachio, fried crisp and placed in the sauce. Just superb.I'm curious now about the entrees we didn't try: the goat, the butter chicken, the tamarind-glazed ribs among others. I hope we get back there one day, and when they do, that dessert darn well better be on the menu still!
4 comments:
I absolutely loooove Indian food (my fave!) so your food pics and descriptions sound mighty fine :)
sounds delicious! Glad that you were able to find something positive in the mess that you had been put in over the weekend.
I need a recipe for the pistachio thingy! Sounds delicious.
Steven, I'd like a recipe as well! It was quite good, and I've never encountered it elsewhere.
No meat sweats Jeph, no. Unlike the Tango Sur dinner. Wow, a life with very little red meat has implications for when I do indulge!
Post a Comment