We haven't seen Frank much lately, so we grabbed an opportunity to dine with him tonight and ran with it. No sooner was I home from breakfast/groceries at Whole Foods than it was into the kitchen with me, baking up a rhubarb and anise upside down cake.

First attempt at the recipe, but I think it's a keeper. Not at all difficult to make, and ultimately fragrant and tasty.All in all, it was an easy dinner to prepare for. I didn't have a lot to do in the kitchen, and that gave me plenty of time to tidy up around the place and get the table set for the three of us.


Frank came by at around 7, bearing gifts of cheeses from Pastoral. This was a little wicked of him, especially the Spanish blue, and we could have really spoiled our appetites badly just by munching all the cheese before dinner. As it was, we tucked in without too much difficulty. Bouillabaise tonight, or, at least, a simplified version. None of this buying $150 of fish and shellfish just to boil the carcasses and shells down into a stock. Clam juice was the base, and it turned out quite fine. We had had some Seresin Sauvignon Blanc with the cheeses, and we opted for the Seresin Tatou Pinot Noir with the meal. Both were lovely, especially the Pinot Noir (ah, to have the Marama Sauvignon Blanc again...).
Frank digs in.


I was pleased with the dinner. The seafood was not overcooked. The mussels were especially plump and good.
I followed it up with a simple salad, and we polished off most of the rest of the cheese before dessert.Ah, dessert. Upside down cakes rock. I'm not fond of the dry cake/syrupy pineapple things in a square pan that are a rare recollection from childhood. Oh, I'll eat them, but they aren't that remarkable. The plum cardamom upside down cake recipe I have is much better, if a bit sloppy. This is a good alternative for spring. I think I may make it again when Bradley and Dan come for dinner on Tuesday. Ooo, and we can take some to Rachel's tomorrow!

Served warm with a generous dollop of whipped cream - mmmmm.
1 comment:
And fresh green leaf buds on the trees!
Post a Comment