Yesterday was busy, though. Yoshi's (twice), Wilmette, Erik Estrada, and Bin 36. Small wonder I played the tired card this morning at 4:30 and instead of going to the gym I willingly submitted to an EC.
Let's start at the beginning.
Martin was in town for ALA committee meetings, so we picked him up downtown along with his friend/committee mate Kerry (Carrie?) and headed up to Yoshi's for brunch. It was heartening to see the first signs of spring: a bustling, full restaurant of brunchers. We had a great time there, really - the eggs baked in brioche are very tasty - and caught up on ALA gossip nicely.
I kind of covet Martin's shirt. Man, do I look tired and old. Conrad looks so cute, though!




After that, there was time to kill until both of them had to be at O'Hare. We decided it would be nice to head up to Wilmette, admire the handsome suburban homes en route, and visit the Baha'i Temple.


It's a wonderful structure, and I think even the non-religious would be awed by it. Despite overcast weather, it proved to be a good choice to stop by. We didn't stay long, though, and soon headed for the airport. Which was where we saw Erik Estrada, exiting a limo at the United departures level. Cool!Conrad and I didn't have much time at home after that - off to Bin 36
to meet Mark
and his BF Matt,
both in town from Urbana for a concert. I met Mark at a conference a few years back through decidedly humorous (in retrospect) and slightly naughty circumstances. (Buy us each a drink and we may tell you.) The four of us had a bit of wine and snacks before the two of them headed to a concert nearby. That left Conrad and me time to get to Yoshi's for dinner.Odd night there - it's been ages since we did two meals in one day at the restaurant, and I felt a bit out of it somehow. Been there, done that. I was out of the loop conversationally as well, in part because of where I was seated and in part because I found myself watching an ESPN show on the history of African Americans and basketball in the US. Fascinating. In any case, the food was fine as always, and I opted for a delicious duck breast dish with tamale.
I like the little creep of Mexican flavours into the food there, and the tempura atop was a great touch.For tonight, though, it's home late and a turkey breast still in the oven. And tomorrow I promise to get back to the gym!
1 comment:
Peter, you don't look old and tired! You just had a busy weekend.
Post a Comment