Sunday, May 24, 2009

False Creek

I love getting up early in the morning. 6:15 and I was out the door, over to Safari Cafe for a couple of strong cups of steaming goodness adulterated with sugar.

Conrad? Not so much.

When I got back to the condo at about 8:30, he was getting up (and not even grudgingly so, surprisingly). His turn for coffee, then the two of us headed over to Science World and began walking along the southeast corner of False Creek.

First off: sunny! What an incredible May weekend in Vancouver.

Second: this is where the Olympic Village is going up. The project has the added bonus of filling in the missing 600 meter or so stretch that broke up the 22 km of waterfront path from Kitsilano, all around False Creek, out around Stanley Park, and on to Coal Harbour. About time. Many people were out taking advantage of it. More on that in a moment.

The Olympic Village has a typical Vancouver/City of Glass/West Coast look to it.



It's not everyone's taste, but I rather like it. The landscaping is interesting, too,



and nice to see the provincial flower (dogwoods) at the end of its bloom.
I can't wait to see the end result next February and then after that when summer is in swing here.

Speaking of everyone being out, it was a weekend of dragon boat races on the water, and we paused to watch a moment or two before continuing on our way.




We could have gone all the way to Granville Island, but we opted to cross over at Cambie Street and head into Yaletown for a simple brunch. After that we put the camera away for the rest of our ambling (and kept it at home for tonight's superb dining experience at Coast, where we had great food and exceptionally attentive service dining at the kitchen counter).

Scenes from a Vancouver weekend, then. Back to Chicago tomorrow, and no return west planned until September.

1 comment:

Peter said...

We need to get you and Brett out to Vancouver one day. I hope we can.