Tuesday, May 05, 2009

wee New Zealand post (3)

In 2004, when I was offered a tenure track position, Conrad and I celebrated with a big dinner for five of us at one of the best restaurants in Canada, Sooke Harbour House. This entry is not about that meal, which remains the single best one we've ever had in our lives. Instead, it's a reflection on how I never want to go back to Sooke Harbour House because nothing can live up to the meal we had there, and I don't want to diminish the memory.

Similarly, we should have reconsidered one or two return visits in our New Zealand vacation. Martinborough was lovely, for example, but the time of day and year meant that we only got to visit one winery. A let down from our 2007 visit.

Another notable instance was dinner in Wellington at Boulcott Street Bistro. Conrad and I have dreamt longingly of the chocolate cake and saffron ice cream we'd enjoyed there two years ago. It was a fine meal, indeed, and we wanted to go back.

I think we should not have diminished the memory.

Now, I have to be careful here. I do not write this blog to critique places, not harshly at least. We did not have a bad meal there by any stretch. It's just that I cannot tell you what I had. It was fine, but the only thing I really recall is pleasant conversation with the host about a wine selection, and I have to refer to the photo to recall the wine (though I recall we enjoyed it). The food tasted good, but darned if I can remember what I had.

It's a shame. I think it's a good place, but it simply could not live up to the cherished memory that we'd savoured so long. Unfair to the restaurant of today, and if ever the restaurateurs read this (you never know!) be assured that I would recommend that friends go for a meal. We're simply sorry we didn't recapture the feeling of the first visit.

On the plus side, Conrad looks so handsome in a shirt bought that day at Rixon Groove. As for me, in a new shirt purchased days earlier in Auckland, I look like the prettiest darn boy figure skater on the face of the planet.

1 comment:

cg said...

ok Brian Boitano! wowza. i'm ... speechless.