Saturday, May 30, 2009

last Saturday in May

We're doing what we can to get back into the swing of things in Chicago. A regular work routine. Back swimming with the Smelts. Dining at home. Entertaining. We'll get there in the end.

Tonight was a nice step in the right direction. CG came for dinner - she's been a rock in recent weeks (well, for many years, but lately especially), and we cherish her dearly. Plus, we wanted to hear all about what's been going on with her. Dinner, then. She arrived at 6:30 with flowers and Petit Sirah in hand.

Guests who bring wine are as valuable to us as guests who eat all their food and then want more. They warm our hearts.

I wanted to keep dinner pretty easy so that I wouldn't be trapped in the kitchen all night. Friday I picked up some seafood, and after swim practice today, I picked up a few more bits. Late in the afternoon, I put together a stew base: fennel, tomato, saffron. I would cook up the monkfish, mussels, clams, shrimp, and scallops in this this right before serving.

Dinner was a lovely, leisurely time. When CG arrived, all was done and ready to go. I had a colourful Fiestaware scheme picked out and some Dutch Robusto cheese, walnuts, Raincoast Crisps, and cornichons for snacking on.
Conrad made martinis for him and CG, and I started on a bottle of Trinity Hill Arneis. The weather was agreeable, so we sat outside.

Eventually I got the seafood cooked. Nice and easy, dished up generously,
a salad to finish us up after we'd eaten the stew. I was happy with it.

By this point we were on the Petit Sirah (and CG and I ended the night with a glass each of a Tasmanian Pinot Noir - not super but drinkable. I preferred the wine she brought). We sat and chatted, geeked out on our iPhones. Enjoyed the evening until it cooled off too much and we came in to sit by the window. At that time I brought out the mango kulfi.

You know, it was fine in a way. Sweet, a bit bland, nice texture. Not too much mango coming through on it. A function of the recipe or of the mangoes I used? I don't know. Tasty enough, but I wish it were fruitier. Ah well.


CG left just after 11, and Conrad and I made quick work of the dishes. I'll mosey on to bed soon, but given such a pleasant evening with a dear friend, I thought it nice to upload an account first.

And tomorrow (really later today)? Yoshi's!

1 comment:

cg said...

thank you, dear. also i think the super pensive shot you put in adds to my legend ... i LOOK like i could be a rock. or think about it. or something. prolly i was mostly thinking, mmmm cheese. ;)

a lovely evening as always. we'll do the rom com another time.