Tuesday, May 05, 2009

wee New Zealand post (4)

In case you weren't consulting your calendars and working things out, know that we arrived in Wellington on Good Friday and left on Easter Monday.

The day we arrived, the town was quiet - a stat holiday. The Saturday was busy with shoppers. Sunday was quiet again. Our trip was winding down, and dining was not easy to find, especially up in the government end of town where we were.

But ah, one handsome new-ish looking cafe was offering an appropriate treat for the holiday. What surprised me was that Conrad had never had them before: hot cross buns. I take for granted that everyone knows them, but that might be the British/Anglican upbringing I had, something New Zealand would have experience with. In fact, one of the big controversies we tracked in the newspaper letters pages centered on a change to a classic recipe that resulted in forlorn buns.

A good treat, though, and as I closed in on 30 flat whites for the trip, we wrote postcards and enjoyed the early autumn sun.

No comments: