No, not my birthday - that's months off, and given my advancing age, let's keep it there, thank you. No, it was a surprise for TK

that took us to Baltimore last weekend.
Backing up a moment, I should assign credit. If I remember correctly (and never assume that I will), it started back in December when TK's partner, Michael, called to say that Mark and Maureen



were coming for the weekend in January. Did we want to come too? Mark and Maureen, by the way, are Todd's brother and sister-in-law, and their visit was to be a surprise, too. So it was that I spent about 5 weeks hiding the truth from the man whom, other than Conrad, I consider my best friend.

It ultimately devolved into outright lies about me taking a trip downstate for work last Friday just so he wouldn't wonder why I wasn't showing up online at all through much of the day.
Oh, TK, I am so sorry.
Judging, however, by his reaction when he got to Roy's, I think I'm forgiven.
He was stunned, quite simply. Oh, in a good way. He was happy to see us. But it was a real surprise for him. Curiously, for all that I hate surprises done to me, I loved this one. Again, sorry TK.
It was a terrific weekend. Michael had done a great job of selecting some restaurants. Dinner at
Roy's on the Friday night.


Brunch at
Wit and Wisdom the next day (few photos from that, but the food was quite tasty).

A party at
Phillip's on Saturday night with much to nosh on.




A generous brunch at
Langermann's on Sunday.




Oh, and
gelato in Fell's Point on Saturday afternoon!

Conrad and I left Baltimore with full bellies, I tell you.
But best of all was just getting this unexpected opportunity to see TK, see Michael, see Mark and Maureen. Get some quality time with two of my favourite dogs, Coney and Buster.


Belly rubs!!! I got a bit of a lakeside walk with TK just so we could talk a little together, enjoy that quiet and easy friendship.

After the cheerful hubbub of the party the night before, it was a real pleasure to find a sunny, peaceful moment together on Sunday.
I very much hope it was a good birthday for TK, a fitting celebration for his landmark. Tomorrow night will be one more celebration, a dinner we'd planned for in Dallas well before this surprise weekend was thought up. No surprises this time, though. TK, I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment