Tuesday, January 03, 2012

simple dinner

I didn't feel in a rush today, but I also didn't want to spend a lot of time making dinner. I have a book to read, after all, so no fancy preparations tonight.

Also, no dairy, interestingly. No, I'm not forgoing my morning decaf latte, but I am trying to eat a little healthier so as to be in not such dire shape when I get to Dallas for conference later this month. Yes, I really am that vain.

A long, flat piece of sockeye salmon, skinned and cut in two. I coated the pieces in a mixture of rice flour, salt, and pepper, then crisped up the coating in a large skillet with some canola oil. On the side were some Brussels sprouts halves, tossed with a little mustard. Underneath the fish was a parsnip and leek puree.



I liked the coating on the fish, I liked that it was light and thin and crispy. A decent effort. Conrad ate it appreciatively, too. Not a hearty dinner (and hmmm... what shall I cook tomorrow, I wonder), but a moderate one capped with a large Asian pear shared between the two of us.

I do, however, think a lovely glass of wine (which I'm taking a few days off from after the holidays) would be lovely right about now.

No comments: