When I was in Vancouver the first time this month, I caught up with Sherri after too many years over coffee one morning. She suggested that when Conrad and I came back later in the month, we should go for dinner, and yes, Marie should join us. And she suggested Published on Main.
I said yes. And then I looked at the menu, and I thought, oh yes. Yes, indeed.
So we went. And ah, what a lovely dinner. Good cocktails, good food, catching up.
I enjoyed it a lot.
Highlights:
Chips and dip. A smoked fish dip that wasn't too smoky or fishy and yet was very flavourful. Also, the prawns were lovely.
Abelskiever. One of my favourite items. Savoury, filled doughnouts. So very good!
Burrata with tomatoes. I gave away my portion of this because I took a little more abelskiever.
Spring salmon. Lovely, fine, not as memorable, but good.
Chicken fried maitake mushrooms. Marie was shocked I ate them, but I don't hate ALL mushrooms, and these were deep fried, so....
Pork belly with scallops. Get a little of everything on a fork, and mmmmmm...
Carrots. Definitely one of the best items we had. So so good.
Dessert, highlighting coffee flavours. Fine, not my choice.
Dessert, featuring aerated hay mousse and green apples. This surprised everyone, truly. It was remarkable. One of those things that seem so esoteric, but wow, this was good.
We drank well, too. I rather liked the Into the Mist.
I liked the Still In Touch less, and wish I had had it first, but it was nicely done.
It really was a great dinner. The food and drink and company - so fine. I'm glad Sherri suggested it. I'm not an awards chaser, but I was startled to learn at the end of dinner that the restaurant was a one Michelin star place. Cool! And deserved.
We had an excellent weekend in Vancouver, to be sure, but this dinner was a very fine time and a real highlight indeed.















No comments:
Post a Comment