The capitalization is deliberate. As I start to draft this on Monday afternoon in a United Club in Denver airport, I have the past three nights behind me spent in Golden, CO. My first time in Golden, and I hope it's not my last.
Van is not a morning person, so no, he did not join me for any of these morning walks around the town. Conrad made it for the Saturday and Sunday walks, but not this morning. That's ok. I also relish getting that time to myself as I mosey around.
We were staying over on the west end of the town, in a nice little boutique hotel called The Eddy Taproom and Hotel.
A terrific room, a good bar and restaurant, a convenient location near a bunch of trails. On Saturday, we left Van to sleep, and Conrad
and I
set out northward in search of a Starbucks. Uphill, sunny weather. Remnants of snow on the ground in spots.
We got a nice view of the hotel and Zion Mountain on which students from the local university (the Colorado School of Mines, kind of a big deal, it turns out) deposit rocks that make up the big M.
Conrad took coffee with him,
but we picked up coffees for me and Van. Then we swung close to downtown before heading back to the hotel to join Van and start the day. 2.64 miles.
Not bad at all! And what a lovely, sunny morning. Autumn has dried things to a golden colour against the blue skies.
Sunday morning Conrad
and I
set out again. This time we ventured west under a mistaken (my mistake) impression that we could loop around to the downtown area. Nope! Well, maybe, but not easily. Anyway, we headed along Clear Creek,
then doubled back to head into the town and onto the campus. The Colorado School of Mines has a very handsome campus, indeed, and on a Sunday morning it was absolutely quiet. We took a few photos,
then headed to the main street of the town in search of a coffee shop. A stop at the Windy Saddle Cafe,
and then it was along the creek to the hotel to get Van going. 4.19 miles that morning.
A little less sunny, but still a wonderful, mild autumn morning.
This morning it was just me.
Sunday zonked us all out differently, but I still got up and was out the door before 7. I headed north to Starbucks but veering a little farther west than two mornings previously. From Starbucks, I continued north, then looped around that part of the town along a little creek on its eastern side.
What I loved about the town is the abundance of paved trail/path for walking, running, or biking. Wonderful. I made it through downtown and back along the river.
Those signs?
Yep, tubing in the creek in season. Too late for that, perhaps, but I saw swimmers yesterday and today (pre- and post-swim, that is). A total of 4.55 miles today.
Great!
It was a treat to stay in Golden (we would have done Boulder, but it was a football weekend and super busy and pricey). Thank you to Van for picking the hotel. I am so glad I saw the town, and I hope I get back there.



























No comments:
Post a Comment