Friday, November 17, 2023

Medford, other than the wedding, that is


I thought I'd save the wedding activities for last and otherwise wrap up Medford in a post today.

Last Saturday morning, the day of the wedding, we woke up to a town looking damp and socked in.  The forecast was favourable for later in the day, happily, and hey, I like cool autumn temperatures.  I got myself dolled up in walking gear, and with Conrad in tow, we set out on a pathway that eventually led us close enough to (big shock here!) Starbucks. 


We picked up drinks then came back to the hotel to have breakfast with Ann.  Van got himself out of bed eventually, and declared that he wanted breakfast in town at Over Easy, a little diner that we had seen the day before.  A great idea, I just wish I hadn't already eaten breakfast!

So we went into town and got a table, saying hello to a pair of wedding guests we'd met the night before and who were finishing their own breakfast.  Van ordered a full meal, but Conrad and I kept it light.  A savoury muffin for me, with an egg in the center, and a shared marionberry pastry,


plus a megamosa (elderflower and grapefruit) to sip slowly (and not finish - that was a big mimosa!).

Verdict?  So good (and great service) that we tried to go back the next day.  Tried.  Ah well.  Van and I then sent Conrad off to get a trim to clean up his head for later that day,


and then it was back to the hotel.

Sunday started the same way as Saturday.  Conrad and I set out on a walk, intending to go longer and make it to a Starbucks downtown.  Part way there, while we were checking the map, I had the smart idea to make sure that that Starbucks was, in fact, open.  It was, in fact, not.  So we course corrected and ended up at the Starbucks from the previous morning,


coming back along the route we'd gone out the day before. 

We packed, checked out, and headed to Over Easy, which - we weren't surprised, just dismayed - had a waitlist of about forty minutes.  The next place we tried was pretty much the same.  We might have waited, but we had a plane to catch, so we tried a third place.  The Winter Berry cocktail was a nice brunch treat,

but man, did we have to wait a looooooooong time for our food in a not-too-busy place.  We might have been better off waiting for Over Easy.

And then it was to the airport where we found Ann sitting with Deb and Renee at our gate. 



Deb and Renee (and Peter's niece, Eve) were on our flight, and Ann was awaiting a delayed flight yet to be boarded at a nearby gate.  So it was that we had a last little bit of time with some of the folks we had enjoyed the wedding with.  We boarded soon after, and our time in Medford was done.

No comments: