Sunday, January 07, 2024

a lovely January weekend

I shan't break up the weekend into multiple posts.  No, let me simply tell you about the whole thing, start to finish(-ish) in one post and move on to the new week.

Friday evening Conrad and I reclaimed our favourite seats at the bar at Maestro.  It was a quiet evening there, even when we left (we always arrive right at opening because we learned from experience years ago that the bar seats can be claimed quickly).  We chatted with the owners, both of whom took off early because it was going to be a slow night.  We said hi to Gabriel, who was going to be playing music outside to goodness knows how many or few diners on a chilly evening.  We talked with Marco at the bar.  We had our cocktails, starting with the Don Vanitos for me. 



Some guacamole and plantain chips. 

A really great new special, too, the cochinita pibil. 

A nice time of it.  Then we came home, watched some Canada's Drag Race, and sipped a little wine before bed.

On Saturday morning we got up a little late and did a good walk down to Van's, getting him out of bed for a late breakfast at Amara.  We parted ways after that, with him heading home to Olive and to having us over later, and with us coming home to take down Christmas and put it away for the year.  A little sad, I have to admit.  Ah well.  It's good to have the condo restored, but I am sorry not to see the tree when I look down the hallway to the living room.

For Saturday evening, we went back over to Van's where he plied us with mai tais





and made us dinner

before we all watched the first episode of the new season of RuPaul's Drag Race together.  Yes, a very drag race kind of weekend.  It was to bed at a not too late hour after that.

This morning I left everyone sleeping and set out on a walk into San Marino, a nice few miles on a sunny Sunday. 


Conrad and Olive met up with me near the end, but as soon as we got home, she wanted to go back to her daddy.  Conrad and I hung around with lattes, and Van eventually got up.  A little loving for Olive to end the morning,

and then we came home.

I've made a jambalaya, not my best effort, but it will do.  I have a little work to do for meetings this week.  Conrad has tried napping.  I think he's also doing a bit of research for the Japan trip ahead.

And tomorrow it's back to work.  A full week of it in town, and then the next two weeks have travel cutting things short.  It's been an easy, enjoyable weekend, but also an accomplished one here.  And that, friends, is my report!

No comments: