Sunday, March 29, 2026

yes, but how was PS otherwise, Peter?

If you had told the me of 30 years ago, living in Terrace, BC, that I would spend half of my life (almost that at this point) in the US and that I would LOVE visiting the desert, heat and all, I would have scoffed.  Greatly.  Loudly.  Pointedly.  And yet here we are.

I do love going down to the desert.  I loved it even before Van was in our lives and we were spending so much time at the house he owned in Rancho Mirage.  Is it a vibe?  Amenities?  Landscape?  I don't know.  I don't think about it that much.  I just like going.

So here's what I enjoyed this time...

Our hotel.   


For years we've driven past the partially complete property in the middle of downtown Palm Springs, wondering when it would ever be re-started and finished.  Well, guess what?  They finished it last year, and it's now a Hyatt property.  It's also dog friendly, so we could bring Olive.  Our verdict?  Good hotel!  The room was basic but spacious.  The artwork around the facility was cool. 



The layout of the hotel and the landscaping were great. 






Nice pool - we only lounged by it but didn't splash in it. 

All in all, it was an impressive space.  We'd go back.

Walking around town. 



It was nice to stay where we did because it meant easy walking each morning.  I went through Old Las Palmas and surrounding neighbourhoods.  I went past the Palm Springs Art Museum. 




The mornings were mild enough that walking was fine.  I was glad to get out, see the town, take photos, get some steps in.











The cocktails! 


Yep, my mostly dry March is over at this point.  I really need to do a similar thing after spring break, though, and through until our May trip.  Anyway, I loved the inside bar at the hotel. 

Really good and interesting drinks.  A Mastiha Spritz for me,


and then a Hugo at the (not as good) pool bar the next evening.

Mostly, though, it was just great for the three of us to get away. 


Yes, room logistics and sleep can be wonky, but it's worth it to enjoy time with Conrad and Van (and Olive!).  I hope we'll be back down that way later this year for Conrad's birthday.  Should be fun! 

No comments: