Thursday, June 08, 2006

Bin 36... again


Yes, we were just there last Friday. I think it was better this time, though that may be due to the food I ate. I stuck with the fluke sashimi, but this time went with halibut instead of rabbit. A lovely meal.



Above, fluke sashimi. Below, halibut.



More about the meal at the other blog....

Yes, I know I have to choose one or the other. It's getting to be a nuisance toggling between the two blogs. Hmmmm. We'll see when I get back from Sweden.



Karin with her Italian versus Spanish whites flight.

Much packing and the like to do, but being the social creature I am, I'm mostly hankering to add comments to others' blogs....

:-P

Oh, for Steven's interest (in case he reads this): the other two wines not noted in my Yahoo! blog were the 2003 Merlot, Michael Sullberg (California) and the 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, Cycles "Gladiator" (also California, Central Coast). The Merlot promised much on the nose but fell a bit short. The Cab was lovely, and we bought a bottle of it and of the Zin to bring to the cousins in Sweden. Meanwhile, the pink wine I sipped while reading Anansi Boys and waiting for the others was the NV Brut, Cava Rose, Cristalino, Penedes, Spain.

Below: Conrad gives the well-known signal.

7 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

are the purees composed of the veg that's sitting on them? I'm a huge halibut fan.

I'm looking forward to a rather wine-soaked week in NYC next week. I'll have to keep notes this time, my last trip down about a month ago was such a blur of great wine I barely remember being there for two weeks.

Peter said...

You, sir, need to start another blog devoted to food and wine. From what I can tell, you know your stuff and appreciate it muchly.

Yes, the sauces echoed the veggies on them. And I, too, am a halibut fan. We would get a lot in from Prince Rupert at the restaurant where I worked, and it remains a favourite to this day. Not long ago we had halibut cheeks at a restaurant we frequent. Now THERE'S a rare treat!

Take good notes, and photos. What are the dates you're in NYC?

Stunned Donor said...

I'm in Brooklyn actually, but I'm there the 15th through the 21st. My best friend just bought a new apartment in DUMBO and I'm going to help her get settled in. She had a three story brownstone in Park Slope and we're going to have to edit her belongings to fit her new space. She's a big wine drinker and her BF (who's French) is a cheese God and they both appreciate a good meal so I'm looking forward to it. If that weren't enough, Jacques Torres has a patisserie on one side of the street and his chocolate shop on the other all in a straight shot out the lobby of the building. I shall die of gluttony.

I think I'll save the food and wine blogging for the winter, but thanks for the encouragement.

Peter said...

DUMBO?

Wine, cheese, and chocolate? Gee, tough vacation to slog through Steven. I feel for you.

;-)

Pickled herring and schnapps for us. I think you've got the better end of it, but we'll make a good go of it!

Alright, time to get offline and finish my book before bed!

Stunned Donor said...

DUMBO
Down Under (the) Manhattan Bridge Overpass. Basically the area under and between the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges in Brooklyn. :-)

Peter said...

Exactly like on either side of the mouth. Well, in the face at least. Lots of good meat. Not sure about the "southern cheeks", as you call them....

The Gaiman book surprised me a little, but it was kind of exactly like all of his other ones. I didn't mind it in the end, but I'm reluctant to dip into that well once more.

Stunned Donor said...

American Gods was way better.