
We are doing our part for the Swedish economy.
Gads, I'm tired. Day 2 was harder than day one. To bed last night around 1 (and the same thing tonight). Awake around five. Back to deep deep sleep for a few hours again. Ugh. We have a train at 8:00 tomorrow morning. I should be glad that there are no connections on it en route to Bollnäs, and that the train station is across the street.
So, a photo of us being total tourists on day one, about to embark on the 50-minute water tour around the Djurgården. Lovely day to be on the water. We need friends here with a sailboat.

Speaking of boats, we visited the Vasamuseet today. The Vasa was a seventeenth century warship that sank in Stockholm harbour some, oh, five minutes after launch. It was salvaged in the mid-twentieth century and turned into quite an impressive museum. Better than the Nationalmuseum, I must admit.
What was sooooo not better was the bus ride there and back. Oh yes, people laught to think we're vacationing way up north in Scandinavia, but it's warm and sunny out, and the bus was a little greenhouse on wheels, filled to bursting with all the ripe aromas of Swedish humanity in summer!
We've done a bunch of walking today, taking in the National Library (no big deal, or not from what we saw) where we stopped for a truly awful couple of cups of coffee across the street. Don't be fooled by the photo - we took three sips and decided to leave.

Great shirt, though. Which reminds me: yes, we have H&M in Chicago, but the clothes there never fit. I bought two pairs of shorts and a shirt at a store today, though. We also took in a couple of food halls and choked at the ultra high prices in the NK department store.

Conrad outside the Vasamuseet.
A terrific day all around, though. I'll post a few food photos and get to bed. Points for correctly pronouncing the words in the last photo!
3 comments:
The spirit of Swedish engineering so eloquently stated by the Vasa lived on in the form of the circa 80's Saab Turbo.
speaking of youthful clothes, I had a long look at my closet this week and I have way too much Diesel for a man my age, I should probably start buying Dockers. About 15 years ago I told an especially evil friend that if I was dressing like a teenager when I was in my 40's he could shoot me and I'm afraid he will.
Steven, when I moved in with Conrad I got him to weed out all the discofag stuff that was too tight and shiny. But funny, just the same.
And Jeph, thanks for the compliment!
Post a Comment