Saturday, June 17, 2006

Midnight sun (well, almost)



A photo taken two nights ago in the garden at Kersti and Ivar's. Conrad is sitting with their youngest son, Olov. What's really cool is that the photo was taken without a flash at 12:12 AM. Just after midnight. It wasn't getting fully dark the past few nights in Långhed. The village is roughly as far north as Anchorage, from what we could figure out. It was an issue for sleeping, but Conrad had wisely brought along eye-masks, and with them, we slept well. The photo is a little blurry because they couldn't sit still enough for the long exposure!

From earlier that week in Stockholm:



I believe that it was around midnight or so, and there is still a pink glow visible from our hotel room window over in the western sky. Stockholm is a few degrees of latitutde south, and it seems that makes some real difference. It was light fairly early in the morning just the same!

Incidentally, I'm posting this all from the train south from Söderhamn to Stockholm. Free wireless in this car. I really can get into this whole Sweden thing!

No comments: