
Having just spent some 15 minutes on the phone with Jeph trying to figure out what to do with 6 egg whites (a cake of some sort preferred, and I don't want to use more egg whites) without hitting just the right thing on line, I'm giving up for the night. Two cakes just out of the oven: Rose Levy Beranbaum's All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake, studded with raisins I soaked for a few hours in sauternes. We'll see how they turn out. The batter tasted darn good, though, I must say!
Maybe some meringue cookies tomorrow night instead....
11 comments:
Um, Jeph? Funny thing called breakfast? Heard of it?
:-P
I wrapped them both up and put 'em in the freezer for now. I'll bake a bit more tonight, I think.
I'd make meringues!
I would, but I wanted to make a cake if I could. The last time I made meringues, well, not good results.
I wasn't good about taking foodie photos this trip, but I brought home some fantastic meringues from Almondine Bakery that are gigantic. I took some pictures and I'll post them soon. In regard to your disaster, I asked Herve, the patisseur at Almondine if the meringues would survive the train trip and he said that as long as they were dry, they'd survive anything. And they did. Bravo Herve!
That was my big problem: not dry enough. If I make them tonight, I will let them dry all night!
I'm spooning sliced strawberries and a little cream over my giant meringues for my take on Eton Mess
I've just taken a bunch of chocolate meringue cookies out of the oven and have another batch in. They aren't pretty, they have chocolate chips in them, but they should be good.
Somehow, though, I like the sounds of yours better.
Hmmmm: do more baking after swim practice, or spend time packing for tomorrow?
Where are you off to anyway?
By the way, Bin 36 was written up today on Gridskipper
New Orleans this time - ALA Annual Conference. I leave tomorrow, come back Wednesday, back to work Thursday. Then trips to Chico, Traverse City, and Vancouver in July. And then some time in town!
As for Bin 36, good place. I thought the first time that it may be too trendy and hip for the likes of me, but I've generally had good food, good wine, and good service there.
Post a Comment