Sunday, March 30, 2008

muffins

Gosh, when was the last time I made muffins? Surely since the days of living in Halifax, making these leaden little round blueberry things that I ate but shared with no one. The word "leaden" should tell you why I don't make them often: more often than not (overmixing?), they turn out to be dense little balls of cooked batter with stuff in them.

Given rhubarb in the fridge, though, and also given that I'm alone until Thursday, necessitating making something easily stored or taken into work, muffins it was. A quick search online and Bob's your uncle: rhubarb buttermilk muffins.

Long time readers (all two of you) of the blog will be amused that buttermilk continues to be a key ingredient in my baking. Ah well. I also had bananas to use, but the banana bread I made (also using buttermilk) was rather less photogenic. Ah well.

The muffins have a sweet topping, but overall are less sweet than I expected from the quantity of brown sugar in the batter. The rhubarb adds a good sour note, and walnuts add a bit of wholesomeness to the mix. Not too bad a first time effort. A recipe to keep a hold of and play with in the future.



8 comments:

Dale Prince said...

Why is buttermilk funny? Have you tried dried buttermilk? I really love it. I have none at the moment, because I seldom bake, but when I do, I keep it in the refrigerator at all times.

the ginger tabby said...

I love buttermilk and rhubarb so the muffins sound delightful!

Peter said...

There was a period, I blogged it of course, two summers ago when I went on a baking binge and seemed to need every recipe to involve buttermilk. I got a bit of teasing about that from one or two people who seldom use it themselves.

I'm gratified that there are other buttermilkees out there.

:-)

Dale Prince said...

So I've been reading, but not 2 summers ago.

cg said...

there are at least five of us, for starters.

secondly, i have a very good and simple banana bread recipe if you want it, although it does not include buttermilk.

thirdly, the muffins look wonderful. is it wrong that your baking is part of my top five list for things i miss about UIC?

fourthly, is that quince jam, or apricot?

Allison said...

I agree with Courtney. There are at least 5 regular readers. You are not going to get a book deal out of this (see Stuff White People like guy), but we all enjoy reading!

I don't think I have ever eaten your muffins. Banana bread, yes, biscotti, yes, scones, yes, but muffins, no.

Peter said...

Five of you? Wow! A shame about the book deal, though.

;-)

CG, I think it's time to trade in my banana bread recipe, so please do send it along.

The jam is apricot. Last I looked at Treasure Island a week or so ago, no quince. I'll need to find a new source.

Peter said...

The jam was just for the photo. I ate the muffins without any. had I any butter unfrozen, I would have heated a muffin, split it, and melted a pat of butter on a half. I AM that cheesy!