Saturday, July 12, 2008

lunch in Marquette


In for a penny, in for a pound - let me get at least one more blog entry done this morning before I pack Conrad off to swimming.

It was a week ago that Conrad and I lazily got up at about 9:15, had breakfast, showered and dressed, and headed off with his Mom to the north shore of the UP. We didn't have much time allotted for seeing Marquette, alas. What I saw of it left me the impression that it's a city that has cared for its history well, and that it's really a neat college town (it is the home of Northern Michigan University).

We found a pasty shop, made our purchases, and headed to a lakeshore park, Presque Isle (they pronounce "Isle" the English way, BTW). There we sat enjoying the warm noon-hour, deeply content with the meaty pies. We sat side by side at a picnic table so that we could appreciate the view together.


One thing caught our eye on our way back through town to get back to Escanaba - the Superior Dome on the NMU campus. An interesting looking structure. As we subsequently drove through a neighbourhood with businesses geared toward campus, I was left thinking that campus life there might be pretty decent, in fact.

No comments: