Wednesday, July 16, 2008

short rib


Season 5 of Project Runway has just started, so obviously I have to pay more attention to that. Maybe I should write this an hour from now instead?

Nah, let's get some photos up now. Our dinner out on the balcony tonight was beef short rib. Not much meat on the darn things, you know, and after the pretty shots, we added a second short rib to each of our plates. I braised them for a couple of hours or so with onions, shallots, dried porcini mushrooms, red wine, chicken broth, and pomegranate-flavoured balsamic vinegar. Near the end I removed the short ribs, strained the liquid, de-fatted it, tossed the short ribs back in with the strained liquid and more chicken broth and vinegar. Cooked it a little more, then removed the short ribs again. Reduced the liquid to a thick glaze, then tossed the short ribs in the glaze.

Got all that?

:-)

I served the ribs atop a parsnip and leek puree with some wilted arugula. The remainder of the cheap-yet-reliably-tasty red wine went into our glasses as we sat. A cool night, considering how very warm the day was.

And now it's back to Project Runway!

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Peter, I'm liking that longer (and curly?) hair on you...I don't think you should get a trim. That's my humble opinion ;)

Peter said...

It was just a trim, Brenda, I swear. Already done before work this morning. Cleaning my up a little so I look pretty for the reunion in two weeks.

the ginger tabby said...

Enjoy your reunion :)