I worked later than expected tonight, and I had to time a couple of teammates for their one-hour swim. I needed a dinner that wouldn't take too much prep and could cook while we were at the pool. Once home, I thought a few minutes. I had chicken breasts on the bone. What to do. A slow oven-baked dish was Conrad's suggestion, and I bounced from there to thinking, "Hmmmmm... chicken in parchment".
In quick succession I found a recipe, prepped, got the chicken cooking, made a cole slaw as a side, and was on my way to the pool.
Friends, it's a keeper. Darn good recipe. Chicken with adobo, steamed in parchment. Yes, steamed.



I have a large stock pot with a couple of steamer inserts, and that was perfect for a long cook. The adobo was quick - and fragrant! The cinnamon (not cassia, but the papery, citrusy sticks) was a gorgeous addition, and I could smell it on my fingers throughout my time at the pool. I was afraid that the adobo would be too hot for Conrad, but it permeate the meat subtly and otherwise came off when we removed the skin.I'm really pleased by this recipe, and so is Conrad. It took more time when we got home, but it's not an early morning for us tomorrow. We sat with some wine and olives before I finally decided to give it a go. The meat pulled off the bones with gentle encouragement, and it was moist. So good.
Some cole slaw and radishes to counter the heat and we were set. We sat in the living room and marveled aloud at how much we liked it. Oh yes, a keeper. I'll look forward to trying it again.
1 comment:
The adobo was not too hard to make. Rehydrate some chiles, then puree them well with some spices and added liquid like vinegar. No smoked peppers in this case.
The chicken on a bun idea sounds like a terrific extension of the recipe.
Post a Comment