Monday, January 19, 2009

pot pies


Last week I tossed some leftover boneless turkey breast and some ham with veggies (onions, parsnip, spinach, I can't recall what else) and some quick-made gravy, filled some ramekins, topped it with a (frankly tough) shortcrust pastry, and baked up pot pies.

Conrad? Loved them. So much so that he asked to have some more for dinner tonight. You know, we just spent a weekend enjoying time with Conrad's family (and if you haven't checked out the walnut cookies we made with Karen, do so - I'm keen to try making them without the molds - so tasty!), so I didn't have cooked roast leftover for chopping into pies. No matter. My handsome man requests it, and I make it so.

I'll admit, I preferred the meat from last week. That said, I preferred the veggies from tonight. I kept the spinach and onions, but went with carrots and green and red pepper. For meat it was quickly poached chicken leg meat and andouille sausage.

The end result was certainly fragrant, though the spice of the andouille came through a little strongly. For the crust I got my gay on and made some little maple leaves from a pasta morbida dough recipe I rather like. It's a forgiving dough: if I can't achieve the flakiness that CG2 manages, then I may as well have something a child can work with.

A filling dinner in the end. We stopped at the grocery in Kohler on the way back and found - ah, happy day! - the Mark West Pinot Noir on sale. A case came home with us and a bottle is open on the table right now. Comfort food, a swim, some red wine. A good cap to a weekend filled with a lot of activity.

No comments: