Thursday, January 01, 2009

NYE dinner, 2008


I feel lazy today, and can you blame me. Hours of slaving away in the kitchen yesterday. My difficult life.

No, not difficult. Dinner for three of us was a doodle to prepare, all the more so since we drew it out over the course of a handful of hours on our way to midnight. New Year's Eve was, as a result, a relaxed affair, and glad we were of it.

The dinner:

Cheeses (smoked cheddar and pecorino romano) and olives, Rain Coast Crisps, a bottle of a 2006 Sumac Ridge Stellar Jay Brut.

Seafood broth with local prawns, pine nuts, hedgehog mushroom, and thyme. A bottle of a Quails Gate Chasselas Pinot Blanc.

Oven-braised lamb shank with French green lentils, Brussels sprouts, roasted hedgehog mushrooms, and a reduction of the braising liquid.

A bottle of a Cedar Creek Platinum Reserve Pinot Noir and a bottle of a Quails Gate Pinot Noir.

Chocolate budini.


Forme d'Ambert cheese, dried figs, more Crisps, some dark chocolate.

Oh, and several bottles of sparkling mineral water. Can you imagine the shape we'd have been in this morning without downing that water throughout the night?

Chris looked spiffy,
no surprise there. His marvelously hammy side came out time and again as well
- also no surprise.

I took up residence in my kitchen


but welcomed Conrad and Chris' presence and conversation. Conrad photographed all he could and seemed never to be sitting still.

Just after midnight we packed it in. Chris went home, stuffed (I hope), and we headed for bed. One of the most enjoyable NYE in my experience - thank you Chris for coming over - due largely to how well we could let it all unspool as we felt.

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening. When do you head back to Chicago?

Peter said...

Truly wonderful, indeed. Good food, good wine, and a relaxing time enjoying Chris' company.

We head back on an 8:00 flight tomorrow morning (Saturday). Far too soon.

Peter said...

I like the picture of the three of us, too.

How much wine? Four bottles in six hours. Not too bad given how much water we also drank and how drawn out it was. I can't speak for Chris, but Conrad and I weren't badly off the next morning at all. Not hungry, but that's about it.