
Wasn't it just a few short months back when Conrad and I stumbled upon a restaurant we wanted to make our Vancouver Yoshi's? And then what happened? After five years of business, they closed.
Merde.
Less than a month ago, a new option opened even closer. Formerly the space that a kind of funky hole-in-the-wall Portuguese restaurant called Adega had occupied, it's now a minimalist Italian place called Campagnolo. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner. Or so Conrad and I hope.
We actually first ate there, with Marie, the night we arrived before setting up the tree. That intrigued us enough for me and Conrad to have a date there tonight. It's only a few doors down, after all, so why not.
At 6:45 we walked in (no reservations save for big groups) and got a nice table against the north wall. The place was pretty busy - an encouraging sign. We immediately ordered the marinated olives and spiced hazelnuts,
and had a glass each of a Prosecco to go alongside.Conrad and I decided to juggle some small courses, then share a pizza. Smart idea. I just wish they'd all photographed well. In order of how much I liked them (I liked them all), starting with the best:
Coppa di Testa (head cheese, served with pickled eggplant).

Octopus salad with roasted peppers, cucumber, and lemon.
Seared albacore tuna with salt-roasted onions, treviso, and chives.
Pate di Campagna.
Again, all were good. We sipped through a half liter of a Ricossa Barbaresco then moved on to a half liter of Forte Canto Primitivo to sip during and after the Margherita Pizza (flordilatte cheese, basil, tomato).
Wow. We haven't had a pizza in ages, but heck, it's vacation. Screw the carbs! Also fun: the side dish of seasonings to add as desired.
No, it really was very good, and there are several things we still want to try on the menu. Not a big menu, but some good things, and we like the room and the wine list. Sarah, our waitress, gave us excellent advice, we thought.
So please please please, Campagnolo, stay open for many months and years to come, and stay good. We are ever so glad for a place like that in our little neck of the woods.
2 comments:
That pizza looks yummmmmmmeeee :) I just ate lots of yummy Indian food at a family friend's 70th b-day party...homemade Indian food...doesn't get much better than that!
The pizza was good, all the more so because we never eat pizza otherwise.
Head cheese is tasty, really. It was our favourite of the light bites, in fact.
Post a Comment