Sunday, May 10, 2009

flowers in DC

It was a great weekend in the US capital, visiting with Geoff and Kent, dining and drinking well, and suffering from some hay fever. Ah yes, Washington DC is well into spring and a good deal warmer than Chicago - I may have to put an extra blanket on the bed here tonight! - and the flowers and trees are pumping out pollens at an astonishing rate.

That, of course, doesn't keep me from admiring what I saw in the gardens of DC. So many gorgeous blooms. Irises of all colours. Azaleas just peaking
(and past the peak, but no worries, the rhododendrons are coming on). Some stunning clematis.



And then I come home to find our New Guinea impatiens almost devoid of flowers and looking a little, well, unhealthy.

[sigh]

1 comment:

Peter said...

Allergies aside, yes. It's been really interesting to see the flowers in one stage in DC, in another stage in Vancouver, and - finally - in Chicago, which is furthest behind in the spring.