Sunday, March 26, 2023

a few last things from FSM

So let's see, what else have I not mentioned from the time on Pohnpei?

Dogs!  There are stray dogs all over the place.  When we first saw them, we were told that we should bring a stick while out walking.  Happily, we didn't need a stick, but during the second dinner, , there were a couple of local canines that hung out around and even under the table in hopes of being fed.  Yes, I treated one to a little bite of my dinner, I admit, but not this cutie who was staring up at me from under the glass top table.



Pretty flowers!



I mentioned the local tuna.  I've also mention the dinner of parrot fish.  On the first day, when we went out walking, Brian took us into a market he had visited seven years earlier.  And lo!  Fish! 


Lots more than this, many more varieties.  Also, local limes and avocados. 


Nice to see the local produce.

Speaking of fish:  more tuna! 


We had a lot of tuna while there.  I am not complaining.

And speaking of food in general:  Namiki dougnuts! 


We had them the first morning we were there on the boat.  Later that night, I was talking with the president of the Board of Regents for the college, and she told me that her sister, who lives in Las Vegas, craves the doughnuts.  I believe it.  I went out walking the next morning and went past it.  Before 7AM there was a steady stream of cars pulling up to buy doughnuts.  I made sure to go back on the Friday morning with teammates.  $1.25 for a dozen!  We bought two-dozen and brought the extras to share at the hotel and college.  Yum!

What was also funny that morning was that we were on the hunt for souvenirs.  Yes, that early.  And while walking post-doughnuts, a flatbed pick-up truck wheeled around and pulled up.  Out popped this guy who turned out to be Stevenson's old university roommate.  A lot of chat and laughter, and then, when he found out what our expedition was, he got us to hop in (Jill in the front with him, the guys in the back),


and drove us into neighbourhoods


where we successfully completed out mission.  And then he drove us back to the hotel - we were pressed for time that morning.

One more post to come from Micronesia - the jaunt back - and then onto the posts about Hawaii!

No comments: