Thursday, March 30, 2023

you know what I love?

Liver.

Unapologetically.

Liver. 

Honestly?  I don't need the bacon, but some good onions really enhance the experience.

I credit Annalee, who, years ago at Don Diego's incited me to try some duck livers from some birds that she had broken down for dinner.  Sauteed quickly, a light vinaigrette and a sprinkling of crumbled blue cheese.  Holy gosh, they were good.  A revelation to me, which is odd.  I had loved braunschweiger as a child (really loved it to the point of taking sandwiches with it for school lunch).  On the other hand, I love my late Mum, but she cooked meat to within an inch of leather, and her approach to the calves liver that she made for her and Roy was very much that.  I hated liver as a child.

But oh, I love it now!

This past Friday, while we were in the desert, we wandered over to Wally's for a nice evening out.  Some oysters to start with,


and a raspberry souffle to share for desert,

but as with, oh, every time that I go there, I had the liver for dinner. 

Bring on the old school restaurants that still make it.  And they make it very nicely indeed.  Van opted for the same, and Conrad politely declined a taste because he DOES NOT APPRECIATE LIVER.

Oh, and as a reminder (and thank you Liliha Bakery Waikiki), I love Spam as well.


Me?  A food snob?  Kiss my grits!

No comments: