Thursday, March 23, 2023

doing my duty as a librarian


A super quick post again today - lots to get through and then off to the desert.  I will try to squeeze in more through the weekend.  For now, let me assure you that I have been diligent in my duty as a librarian.

It's a joke in the profession, I think, that when librarians travel, we seek out and visit other libraries.  I'm not quite that way, honestly, but I am always delighted when I stumble upon libraries elsewhere.  I usually just take a photo of the outside and don't go in, and I certainly never introduce myself, not as a fellow librarian and definitely not as an officer of my professional association.

On our first day on Pohnpei, a group of us went out for a walk around after settling into the hotel.  And lo!  Around the corner, more or less, was the public library.  I took a photo, and we kept walking.  On the way back to the hotel, though, I asked if folks minded if we stopped in.  It was an active setting outside and quieter inside.  We said hello to the two young people working at the service point, and one of them went to get the library director.  Shame on me for not remembering her name, but she was delightful to talk with.  We took a photo of the children's section,


chatted further, then went on our way.

So... there!  Obligation for the trip fulfilled!

No comments: