Sunday, March 05, 2023

local meals

Well, this is weird.  Multiple days in a row in Pasadena, and multiple days of dining out in Pasadena.  Given all the travel behind me in 2023 already, not to mention the travel to come (hello Friday!), it's a treat to get to local restaurants.

And, of course, we made it to our favourites.

Let's start with Thursday.  I got home from work to have an evening of The Crown with Conrad (Comard?).  That meant some sushi for us.  Mama M, of course!  And is there anything better than the raw sweet shrimp with the deep fried shrimp heads? 


Maybe, but yum!!  Mama M remains a beloved local restaurant.  It's always a treat to pick up food or dine in, and even better if we get to chat with Chef Jack. 

Friday we had Van's friends Mitch and Ted over for a drink, then went to Agnes.  I won't at all call us regulars at Agnes, though I wish we might be.  We don't have enough days of the week, and I like cooking at home.  But no, Agnes is a welcome addition over on Green Street.  I enjoyed my salmon dish,


and all three desserts were lovely (others preferred the chocolate taco and the banana pudding, but give me the pineapple upside down cake any time). 



Happy to go back when we can!

I cooked at home on Saturday evening for the three of us, and no, I did not take photos.  But we did get to Amara for a late Saturday breakfast.  It's funny:  the first time we went there was my 50th birthday, and even on that first day, we were made to feel like regulars.  Between that and great food, we happily go back.  Make mine an arepa and decaf latte!


Today was reminiscent of our Yoshi's days when there were times that we would go to Yoshi's for Sunday brunch and dinner.  We had told Paul and Sergio, the owners of Maestro, when we saw them on our walk with Olive yesterday, that we would come in for dinner.  But we changed that up and came in for brunch. Van had never had brunch there, so that was fun.  I had a take-off on a Naked and Famous, the Guayabita,


and the huevos divorciados. 

A good brunch.  And yes, I absolutely dozed off after that during the massage that I had booked.  But Paul and Sergio had told their new bartender, Jo, that we were coming in and that we liked tiki drinks.  Marco, the brunch bartender, told us that, and so we decided to pop in for happy hour.  Guava mai tais were Jo's choice, and we enjoyed them. 



A round of oysters as well, and then it was home to make some dinner.

It's good to be at home.  It's good to go see our friends at local restaurants.  Long may they be our neighbours.



No comments: