Saturday, November 23, 2024

Jane Siberry in concert


Oh dear, it's late.  1:05 AM as I start this, and I'm waiting for Conrad to come home.  He was due to land hours ago, but he's only just now in the air en route from SFO.  Lots of delays in SFO.  Ugh.  A late night.

So, why not blog?

Van and I had a date night in Santa Monica tonight. 


Dinner and a musical performance.  Nice!  It's always fun to get out of Pasadena and go to another part of the metro.  Happily, traffic wasn't bad, and we made our reservation without problem.  First ones in the restaurant.  Oh, which one?  The Georgian Room in the lower level of the Georgian Hotel. 


Delightful.  Classic.  Sophisticated.  Modern old school.  A steak for each of us, a pair of Vespers for me.  Fine service.  Live piano.  Everything just right, it felt.  A dress code!  And no photos or cellphones inside!  So that means no shots of the food or from dinner, only from outside the hotel.  But we liked it, truly, and we would love to go back.

After that lovely, leisurely dinner, it was on to McCabe's Guitar Shop.  A small venue


for an artist I have loved for decades:  Jane Siberry. 

Van did not know her music, but he had a good time.  The highlight was an absolute gem of a performance of Love Is Everything.  Jane seemed to be trying out recently recorded songs, and honestly?  Her songwriting is not as tight and focused as twenty, thirty, forty years ago.  Her performances are almost as much spoken word as it is singing.  And you know, you just go with it.  Follow her where she goes.  And so we did.




First time in Santa Monica in a year or two, I think.  First time seeing Jane Siberry perform since about 2013 or 2014.  A night for rare experiences!

Now then, I hope Conrad will land soon.  And I still have to go to Burbank to pick him up.  Sigh.

I did look pretty tonight, I think.

No comments: