Sometimes I am wrong.Shocking, but true.
Bob D. (also known as RAD, pictured above) had suggested Bayona as a spot to dine while in NOLA. The Web site didn't hook me. Indian AND Mediterranean? Eesh!
I should know better. RAD was on his fourth meal there while on this trip, so that's always indicative of something. Turns out he was spot on. Almost four hours spent there, and definitely the most expensive meal I had in NOLA (but far from my most expensive meal ever, I assure you). Mary Augusta Thomas and her husband were at a nearby table, and we now all have vague plans to dine together in Seattle and/or DC next year. Given their love of food, that should be fun.
I arrived before Bob and settled in the lounge (brightly lit with daylight from the courtyard outside). A glass of sauvignon blanc in hand. Relaxing, though today was hardly trying at the conference. Bob arrived and we headed to the table. Staff came and went, all chatting with him as they had gotten to know him in the days preceding.
First up for me: asparagus salad with poached egg. I hadn't had much in the way of good vegetables here, so this was a nice treat after a handful of days in town.The staff generously surprised us with the smoked quail salad next.
We'd asked for them to give us suitable wine pairings, so while I had another glass of sauvignon blanc with the first salad (no Sauternes available by the glass), it was a half-pour each of a pinot noir rose for the unexpected course.Dinner for me was veal sweetbreads with sherry mustard. Goodness, but that was a treat! How often does one get sweetbreads. I ate very slowly - unusual for me - because I savoured them so. Ahhhhhh. Excellent fare!
A glass of a Riesling (not too floral or fruity) was a nice accompaniment.Robbie, the waiter, recommended I not get the olive oil cake for dessert, and I will admit it was dry if light as an angel food cake. On the other hand: lavender sabayon. How lovely. A bit more of it would be enough to moisten the cake, really; the amount of blueberry compote was fine.
And here's another thing: they do coffee well here. No, I'm not a conoisseur of roasts and blends, but I do like a good cafe au lait that has a good representation of milk. Bayona did it up well, even using decaf!So, last night here. I have a somewhat early shuttle, then in the door in Chicago by mid-afternoon. I miss my SB, and I am getting sleepy. I may yet take a few days off blogging, but I'll return with a vengeance this weekend!
9 comments:
I'm so glad you got a nice dinner, I haven't heard of Bayona, but I'll put it on the to-do list
I'm also glad you took the plunge and had sweetbreads. I don't have them very often and I usually reserve my offal dining for the likes of Alice Waters and Mario Batali.
I've long enjoyed various organ meats, in fact, though I don't believe I've had sweetbreads since dining at the late, lamented Stork on the Roof in Toronto while attending the 2003 conference. Believe me, Steven, these ones were delightful: smooth and unctuous and a sauce that went along very well!
Offal, it's not awful!
Oh lordy. Steven, are you really my boyfriend or my boss in disguise?
Are they both incredibly handsome and witty?
Why, are you looking?
LOL
Conrad is, of course, very handsome. Also very taken, so hands off!
LOL
Oh please! We can all look, can't we? Nothing prevents us from doing that!
Post a Comment